When Edward Elgar founded the eponymous publisher over 25 years ago he sought to build a firm of the highest scholarly reputation by offering leading academic authors an unrivalled level of service and care. Today this author service has developed to include the option, once a work is accepted, to publish a book or journal article with Open Access.
As an author you will not notice a difference in the review process, production or promotion of your work when you choose the Open Access book or journal option. That’s because we dedicate the same high level of resource and care to all of our authors’ books and journal articles.
- All Open Access scholarly monograph books must first be accepted through the standard peer review process. This ensures Elgar Open Access books are both of high academic quality and also a good fit with the books we publish in the social sceinces and law. Please see our submission guidelines or contact a commissioning editor to discuss further.
- The same high quality manuscript editing and production, including copyediting, typesetting, proof reading, cover design and indexing.
- The author and contributors will receive complimentary copies of the print book.
- We will produce a book in both print and electronic formats with a unique jacket design, using quality materials that you will be proud of.
Open Access standards
- DRM free PDF file of the final book manuscript.
- Immediate availability on a CC-BY-NC Creative Commons.
- Complies with Open Access policies of the Wellcome Trust, AHRC, European Union and most other funding bodies.
Marketing and promotion
- Your Open Access book will receive the same level of marketing and promotion enjoyed by all of our books including submission to journals for review, international direct marketing, online promotion and conference exhibitions.
- We will host the Open Access book or journal file for free download and deposit the web address in the Crossref DOI repository allowing citation linking to the work.
- Inclusion on Elgaronline ensuring immediate presence in the library catalogue at leading universities. There is no additional charge to Elgaronline for Open Access books, and MARC records are included.
- Metadata of Open Access books and journal articles are shared with our discovery partners ensuring full text search through library technology platforms.
- Inclusion in the Database of Open Access Books (DOAB), Google Books and Google Scholar for online discovery.
- Authors may upload the file to an institutional repository or a discipline-based repository or archive, citing the published version.
- As well as dissemination though multiple eBook channels the Open Access book or journal article will be archived with Portico to ensure future preservation and access.
All Elgar Journals offer a 'Gold' Open Access option via the Gold Open Access route, under the following criteria:
- Requests will only be considered after the article has been submitted, peer-reviewed and accepted for publication by the journal.
- An author Open Access processing charge of £1000 per article is applicable.
- The article will be made publicly available on Elgaronline under a Creative Commons license (CC-BY-NC), both in free-flowing HTML and as a PDF download.
- The version of the article made available on Elgaronline will be the final published version of the full article, both in free-flowing HTML and as a PDF download.