Companies, lawyers, privacy officers and marketing and IT professionals are increasingly facing privacy issues. While information is freely available, it can be difficult to grasp a problem quickly, without getting lost in details and advocacy. This is where Determann’s Field Guide to Data Privacy Law comes into its own – identifying key issues and providing concise practical guidance for an increasingly complex field shaped by rapid change in international laws, technology and society.
This third revised edition includes significant changes to data privacy law since 2015 such as the challenges companies face as they move data to cloud solutions. With data privacy law enforcement at an all time high, readers will benefit from this introduction to key data privacy concepts and the useful practical guidance on starting, maintaining and auditing compliance programs. Step-by-step direction on drafting privacy documentation is provided, with ‘how-to’ suggestions for tackling other tasks and projects. Finally, the book offers an A-Z list of hot topics, organized by commonly used words and terms. This should be on the desk and in the briefcase of every compliance officer and corporate counsel.
New to this edition:
• updated checklists and guidance based on EU General Data Protection Regulation and other new laws and cases
• in-depth discussion and comparison of PROs and CONs of the new EU-U.S. Privacy Shield v. other international transfer compliance mechanisms.
• data residency v. retention v. privacy law guidance.
• A–Z of data privacy provides snapshot of key topics
• international scope: concise overview of the practical requirements of data privacy compliance worldwide
• practical guide on starting, maintaining and auditing privacy compliance programs
• advice on drafting documentation gives the user the tools to complete an end-to-end process
• glossaries of key acronyms and terms help the user to navigate through the field
• includes sample documentation and checklists to ensure the clearest possible guidance
• clear structure facilitates quick reference.