Print page

Transformational CEOs

Leadership and Management Success in Japan Kimio Kase, Professor of General Management, IESE Business School, Spain, Francisco J. Sáez-Martínez, Professor of Management, Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha, Spain and Hernán Riquelme, Professor, Kuwait-Maastricht Business School, Kuwait
Transformational CEOs questions why some Japanese firms succeeded in the 1990s despite an economy that failed – regardless of the burst of the ‘bubble’ economy, a number of Japanese companies have maintained or extended their international leadership in particular sectors. The authors argue that whilst some of the reasons for successes are plain common sense – operational effectiveness and superior CEO leadership – some are Japan-specific and point to a break with traditional leadership rationale.
Extent: 208 pp
Hardback Price: $127.00 Web: $114.30
Publication Date: 2006
ISBN: 978 1 84542 046 8
Availability: In Stock
$0.00

Buy the E-Book @ paperback price

Join our mailing list

  • Asian Studies
  • Asian Business
  • Business and Management
  • Asia Business
  • Business Leadership
  • International Business
  • Strategic Management
Transformational CEOs questions why some Japanese firms succeeded in the 1990s despite an economy that failed – regardless of the burst of the ‘bubble’ economy, a number of Japanese companies have maintained or extended their international leadership in particular sectors. The authors argue that whilst some of the reasons for successes are plain common sense – operational effectiveness and superior CEO leadership – some are Japan-specific and point to a break with traditional leadership rationale.

Presenting four in-depth case studies, the book shows that newly appointed foreign managers and overseas trained Japanese managers have been instrumental in the success of these corporations and have re-written the rulebook on Japanese management. The behaviour patterns and cognitive processes of successful CEOs in Japanese companies – Nissan and Sony being the most well-known – are examined. From these studies, two different but equally successful leadership approaches have emerged: the Proto-Image of the Firm (PIF) and Profit-Arithmetic (PA). The first involves supporting a business decision by comparing business proposals with the CEO’s image of the firm, whilst the second focuses on processing data and information through a mental model that enables identification of profit levers.

Providing lessons in leadership, and concluding that transformational leadership requires a choice between two types of mindset (PIF and PA), this book will be invaluable to academics, business consultants, managers and executives with an interest in strategic management and leadership. Scholars of Asian studies will also find the book to be a fascinating read.
‘In management, as in mathematics, learning formulae by heart represents just 5 percent of a solution. You learn how to apply them when faced with a real problem. Only then can you achieve the remaining 95 percent of the solution. Even so, it is important to be trained in the most updated management thinking – to learn the “formulae”. In this sense, this book will facilitate capturing the reality, analyzing it, and making sense of it.’
– Carlos Ghosn, President and CEO of Nissan, President and CEO of Renault

‘Our interests are, most of the time, driven by the headlines. Recovery in the USA? Boom in China? Opportunity in India? And we jump in these directions. But what is really going on in Japan? Will the headlines one day read: Japan does it again? What can we learn from the leading companies of the third economic power of the world? Kase, Sáez and Riquelme’s research is extremely timely, reaching us at the right time with their unique analysis of the global champions from Japan.’
– Pedro Nueno, IESE Business School, Spain

‘It is hard to imagine a more enticing topic: why some Japanese firms succeeded in the 1990s despite an economy that failed. The answers are both common sense – operational effectiveness and CEO leadership – and Japan specific – break with traditions. The lessons about leadership, in particular, have wider relevance for leaders, managers, consultants and academics.’
– Andrew Campbell, Ashridge Strategic Management Centre, UK
Contents: Foreword by Robert M. Grant 1. Management Success in Japan 2. Mental Schemes of Successful Transformational CEOs: PIF and PA Approaches 3. Proto-Image of the Firm Approach to Business 4. Profit-Arithmetic Approach to Business 5. Conclusions Annex: Four Case Studies Index